Organization structure

Saudi-led blockade on Yemen is driving civilians to starvation: Rights organization

TEHRAN (IQNA) – The Saudi-led coalition’s naval blockade of Yemen is driving civilians to starvation and amounts to a war crime, a leading human rights organization has said.

The World Organization Against Torture (OMCT), a global network of more than 200 NGOs fighting for human rights and against torture, said in a report on Friday that the naval blockade against Yemen by Saudi Arabia contributed significantly to hunger and acute malnutrition among Yemeni civilians. and constituted a war crime.

“The tens of thousands of civilians dying from malnutrition, water-borne diseases and lack of access to health care are not collateral damage of the conflict,” said Hélène Legeay, legal director of the office. OMCT Middle East and North Africa.

“They are the direct victims of a combination of war crimes committed by different parties, in which the naval blockade imposed by the Saudi-led coalition plays a major role. The blockade threatens to plunge the country into famine and violates international standards, including the UN Convention Against Torture,” she added.

The OMCT report pointed out that the Saudi-led coalition’s tight controls on maritime imports into northern Yemen, home to 70 percent of Yemen’s population of 30 million, on the smuggling of weapons, caused considerable delays in deliveries and played a crucial role in the devastation. .

“Coalition searches have not led to any discovery of weapons,” Legeay said.

“Instead, restrictions on fuel imports, in particular, continue to have a ripple effect on the supply of food, clean water and healthcare,” as Yemen needs generators diesel to pump most of its water and run clinics and hospitals.

Stressing that the inhumane blockade against Yemen must end immediately and completely, Legeay said coalition member states, especially Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, could be held responsible for the air and naval siege on the impoverished country. .

In a statement earlier this month, the Yemeni organization Entesaf for women’s and children’s rights said more than 2.3 million children under the age of five as well as 1.5 million pregnant and lactating women are suffering. malnutrition.

According to the statement, acute malnutrition threatens the lives of some 632,000 children across Yemen.

The rights organization also said more than 3,850 children have been killed and more than 4,230 injured since the start of the Saudi-imposed war in 2015.

Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates – the United States’ closest allies in the region after the Israeli regime – have been waging war in Yemen since March 2015.

The invasion sought to change Yemen’s ruling structure in favor of the impoverished country’s former Riyadh and Washington-friendly rulers and crush the grassroots resistance movement Ansarullah. The Saudi-led coalition failed to achieve any of its goals.

The war, which enjoyed unwavering military, logistical and political support from the United States, killed tens of thousands of Yemenis and turned the entire country into the scene of the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

Yemen’s defense forces, which include the country’s army and its allied popular committees, have, however, vowed not to lay down their arms until the country is fully liberated from the scourge of Saudi aggression.

Source: PressTV