Around 7:30 a.m. today, the Paris fire brigade responded to a fire alarm in a building located in block 200 of 2n/a Rue Sud-Ouest under the control of a non-profit organization that serves as a resource for homeless people.
Upon arrival, firefighters discovered a small fire in a bathroom inside the building which was reportedly extinguished by the sprinkler system prior to their arrival. After inspecting to ensure the fire was completely extinguished, firefighters began a preliminary investigation into the blaze.
At the scene, firefighters observed life safety violations and summoned the city’s fire marshal for further inspection. During the inspection, the Fire Marshal observed and noted multiple life safety violations, which led to Fire Chief Thomas McMonigle requesting and obtaining an administrative search warrant to investigate and inspect the violations. code and ordinances.
While executing the warrant, investigators discovered numerous code violations and determined the building was unsafe for occupancy, and the city closed the facility until the structure could be secure.
A plan is in place to accommodate the need for temporary shelter for those registered to stay at this location. The city is currently working with other nonprofits and shelters to ensure they have housing.
To like and follow MyParisTexas.com on Facebook – Local news reporting in Paris and Lamar County, Texas.