Do you live and breathe the communication strategy? Are you a skilled storyteller who uses data to show impact? Do you know how to ask the right questions to spark deep, practical ideas?
Refugee 613 is looking for a Digital Strategist to fulfill a short-term contract mobilizing data insights to help us improve information fairness.
Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization (OCISO) supports immigrants along the journey to making Canada their home by offering creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and fostering healthy and inclusive for open dialogue and healing. OCISO has been the fiscal sponsor of Refugee 613 since 2015, and as such all Refugee 613 employees are OCISO employees.
About Refugee 613
Refugee 613 is a communications organization created by a network of service providers, refugee sponsors and community volunteers. We provide our partners and the public with information, connections and inspiration to improve the reception and integration of refugees. As part of our commitment to actively work to dismantle systemic racism, we strive to embed equity and inclusion in all of our practices and services. Our small, energetic and very diverse team values life experience, curiosity, listening and creativity. We work hard, laugh a lot, and care deeply about what we do. We especially encourage applications from former refugees and other newcomers with the skills and life experience to help provide innovative and relevant services to build a more welcoming world.
Refugee 613 is looking for a talented digital communicator to help us reach newcomers with essential information about COVID-19 and develop lessons learned for communicators that last well beyond the pandemic. As a key component of the Newcomer Info Hub project, the successful candidate will support the planning of the innovative digital services offered by the project while mobilizing learning to reach health communicators, service providers, community leaders and diverse levels of government with practical ways to enshrine information equity in planning and communication processes.
Summary of position
We have the data, you can turn it into a story. Reporting to the Director and working closely with colleagues across the organization, the Digital Strategist will support key project learnings with evidence, then mobilize those learnings through a series of practical and accessible workshops. This is a short-term position with the possibility of extension, depending on funding.
- Integrate the principles of equity and inclusion in all activities
- Lead the development and application of evaluation metrics for communication activities, gleaning ideas and finding ways to share them with our audience
- Collaborate with colleagues to facilitate a series of workshops mobilizing project knowledge from existing and new stakeholders
- Develop and execute a content strategy promoting project activities, creating tangible support for information fairness as a guiding principle
- Using Evidence to Inform Fundraising Reports and White Papers
- Support the Refugee 613 team with strategic sense and digital knowledge through projects and activities
- Assist in communications with service providers and community groups to connect them to multilingual settlement services and information
- Contribute ideas and ideas to ensure that content produced on Refugee 613 channels reflects most current needs, policies and services
- Represent Refugee 613 to community partners at meetings, events and consultations
- Demonstrate a commitment to OCISO’s Culture of Respect approach
- Other tasks and duties assigned
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in communications, marketing or other relevant field, or equivalent experience in a professional setting
- Excellent strategic communication skills: you know how to quickly develop and implement strategies to meet audience needs across a variety of platforms
- Demonstrated experience in content creation and review: You can transform data – whether it’s numbers or stories – into clear information expressed in presentations, reports and straightforward social media content and in plain language.
- Experience in coordinating the workflow in creative fields: You have coordinated the work of colleagues and entrepreneurs at different stages of writing, editing, design and digital production, ensuring that deadlines are met and quality is high
- Experience working with people from a wide variety of cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- Proven ability to make complex subjects easy to understand through clear writing and the use of plain language
- Very organized and motivated: you manage your workload and prioritize tasks
- Experience in managing projects according to a defined schedule and deliverables
- Ability to work with a small, passionate team in a sensitive and respectful manner
- Excellent oral and written English is required, fluency in French is considered a major asset
- Experience with Microsoft Office and G-Suite tools required; Experience with Adobe Suite, Hootsuite, Zoho and / or other graphic design, CRM or video / audio editing technologies is an asset.
- Lived experience of migration
- Experience working in the non-profit sector, particularly in supporting the settlement and integration of newcomers
- Ability to thrive working online or in an open-plan office environment with a small, mission-driven team
Salary and Benefits: $ 58,240 – $ 59,404 per year.
Registration deadline: Friday, December 31, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
A cover letter with the following file name: Name_Digital Strategist_CoverLetter
A curriculum vitae with the following file name: Name_ Digital Strategist_Resume
We encourage applications from qualified individuals from all walks of life, including women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and people with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to ensuring accessibility in employment and ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including people with disabilities. In accordance with the AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodations for persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the Human Resources Administrator when scheduling your interview.
Thank you for your interest in joining OCISO. We welcome all nominations. Due to the number of applicants, we can only contact those selected for further consideration.
Please note that once the hiring process is complete and before joining, OCISO requires successful applicants to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination document as a condition of employment, subject to an exemption from the Ontario Human Rights Code.